Is Therapy Right for Me?
Common Reasons to Go to Therapy
Many years ago, therapy may have been seen as a sign of “weakness.” You may have worried you would be judged by others for considering counseling or that a therapist was only for those with severe mental health conditions.
Thankfully, most people now realize that mental health is an important part of overall wellness for everyone, including those with and without diagnosed mental health disorders. Therapy can be a great first step toward a more comprehensive mental health treatment plan or simply an ongoing part of your self-care routine.
Here are some common reasons why people may seek out counseling:
- Managing stress or anxiety
- Dealing with depression symptoms or anxiety symptoms
- Addressing harmful behaviors (substance use disorder, self-harm, etc.)
- Navigating difficult life transitions (divorce, job loss, etc.)
- Building self-esteem and confidence
- Rebuilding meaningful relationships
- Exploring identity and purpose
Therapy is a journey, not just a one-time solution. You might find that you benefit from therapy in multiple ways throughout different points in your life. Developing a relationship with a trustworthy team of providers can make getting the help you need easier and more accessible. Contact a Geode Health specialist today to learn more about our mental health services and how we can support your overall wellness journey.
How to Find the Right Type of Therapy
Different types of psychotherapy can be helpful for different people and their unique situations. You may have heard terms like “cognitive-behavioral therapy” or “dialectical behavior therapy,” but not know what they mean or which type is right for you.
The best way to find the right type of therapy is to talk with a mental health professional. They can ask you questions and assess your needs in order to match you with the most suitable type of therapy.
At Geode Health, our providers are experienced in many different types of therapy, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness-based approaches, psychodynamic therapies, and more. We offer in-person and virtual appointments to support your mental health needs in a way that’s convenient and confidential.
Does Therapy Work for Everyone?
Therapy is a different experience for everyone, and many factors can contribute to its effectiveness.
As you look for the right mental healthcare provider, keep these questions in mind to help you find a provider that works for you:
- What am I trying to accomplish through therapy? It’s easy to feel unsuccessful if you don’t have a clear objective in the first place. Before your first session, put together a list of goals you’d like to achieve or problems you’d like to solve. You don’t have to have a perfect picture of what you want out of therapy yet, but having a sense of your goals and expectations will help your therapist create a realistic treatment plan or recommend other resources or treatments.
- Do I feel comfortable and safe with this therapist? It’s important to find a provider you can trust, who will take the time to understand your story and make sure you feel heard. Building this relationship is key to successful therapy, so don’t be afraid to contact multiple providers until you find one that fits.
- Am I open to other types of treatment? In some cases, pairing ongoing therapy with mental health medication (such as antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication) can be the most effective means of treating symptoms of mental health conditions. Be honest with your therapist about what types of treatment you’ve tried in the past and what you’re comfortable with so that he or she can make the best recommendations for your condition, including referring you to a Geode psychiatrist if needed.
The truth is that anyone can benefit from therapy if they have the right mindset and find the right provider (or group of providers). If you’re feeling overwhelmed or struggling to cope with daily life, a therapist can help you work through your concerns and find healthy ways to manage life’s challenges.
Talk to a Therapist at Geode Health
At Geode Health, our experienced mental health providers can help you find the right type of therapy for your individual needs. Our team is available to offer confidential and compassionate support in person or virtually. Book your appointment today to get started on the journey to better mental health.